httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <apreq-dev-l...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: $r->param - where did it go?
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:19:59 GMT

On Oct 26, 2006, at 6:02 PM, Patrick Galbraith wrote:

> Thanks much! I did find Apache2::Request. I'm really a bit lost
> with all the changes in mod_perl2 and libapreq2. It seems, at least
> to me, that version 1.0 of both seemed a bit more simple and
> concise whereas now is a bit scattered as to what modules do what.
> I don't understand why libapreq2 is separate from mod_perl. Before,
> I could do:
>
> sub handler {
>  my $r = @_;
>  my $form = $r->param

hm.  i had no idea.  never used the 1.x branch

> Something as basic as obtaining the form parameters seem like
> something that not require a separate module. I don't understand
> why this was changed. If I was a newbie who had never done mod_perl
> programming and had no dogmatic allegiance to perl, I'd be lost,
> and probably end up coding in PHP.

libapreq is mostly an apache module that provides a c library, not a
perl one.  it ships with / is popular for the Perl glue it provides.
i *believe* its being mostly split and migrated into apache core and
mp2, but i could be wrong.  someone else here will chime in,

you don't need libapreq to get to the post data.  there are a ton of
modules that do that in pure perl (like the cgi series, and others )

libapreq / Apache2::Request just does it fastest -- and handles it as
$r->param

> I've had to really hunt around for information and hack around to
> get things to work. It seems many linux distributions do a poor job
> of packaging mod_perl/libapreq2 in such a way that it works out-of-
> the-box.

i think it works out of the box on freebsd only ( thanks AGAIN to
Philip )

if you use ubuntu, you can get it to work off the global (or whatever
its called ) ports tree , just by switching sources for apt-get.

its a damn nightmare to do in suse/redhat/debian -- you're better off
building from source on those platforms.

its poorly maintained in most ports trees though.  usually its only
on the distros that a big site that runs it uses.  apache2/mod_perl2/
libapreq2 is an often forgotten system.
i think its half because everyone is hyped up over php/rails, and
half that its geared for dedicated servers (not shared ones).  yet
its still one of the fastest and most stable frameworks around (which
is why smart people use it).

// Jonathan Vanasco