httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [RT] what's the roadmap?
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:42:17 GMT

>> in principle I don't mind this idea, and we can certainly consider taking
>> the perl glue under the mod_perl project.  I guess the more difficult
>> part
>> would be in deciding how to package things so that it's the least complex
>> for the end user.
>

> From the experiences I have had talking to people on the mod_perl list
> about mod_perl2, the most common issue for users coming from mod_perl 1
> is how to handle the request data other than using $r->args or CGI.  I
> think that having the perl glue install alongside the standard mod_perl
> libraries would be ideal.
>
> IMHO, a sizable chunk of mod_perl first timers are looking to process
> arguments from a form, which can of course be done with CGI but having
> native libraries to handle this would be a big win.  Make the perl glue
> libs readily available to the user with a standard mod_perl install.

I think that may be more difficult than it sound at first - currently,
neither version of mod_perl depends on anything outside of core httpd for
its API to function, so if apreq weren't part of httpd core it might be more
complex.

but I think discussions like this are secondary and belong as part of the
normal development chatter.  the real issue here is whether the parts of
apreq are better served by two distinct communities - httpd for the base C
module and mod_perl for the perl glue.  and the more I think about it the
more this really makes sense and would be very healthy for the project,
communities, and users alike.

so, with bill on the httpd side willing to do some shepherding, and joe and
I (and randy and philip :) on the perl pmc, we ought to be able to figure
out how to make this split work I'd think.

--Geoff