httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Horner <jeff.hor...@vanderbilt.edu>
Subject Re: On distributing libapreq2
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:00:58 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Jeffrey Horner <jeff.horner@vanderbilt.edu> writes:
[...]
>>I could distribute the whole source package with mod_R, build it and
>>install just libapreq2.os.*. This seems the simplest, but folks who
>>already have libapreq2 installed AND in use will run into problems.
>
> I think this is the best route, even after httpd includes libapreq2.
> You could also include an --with-apreq2=/path/to/apreq2-config option
> in mod_R's configure script, which would use the previously installed
> version of libapreq2 and ignore the version you're actually shipping
> with mod_R.  Doing that would also help us improve our apreq2-config.in
> script.

Okay, I'll do it, but my knowledge of autoconf is low. Do you happen to
have some pointers to docs or such?

Essentially this is what I have to configure my module:

configure --with-apxs=/path/to/apxs --with-R=/path/to/R

Now, if users want to just use the version of libapreq2 that I
distribute, then configure will have to catch that and make appropriate
decisions. But if I add --with-apreq2=/path/to/apreq2-config and the
user chooses it, then configure will have to make appropriate decisions
based on apreq2-config.

autoconf is a nightmare.

Also, what happens when an executable calls a shared library call? Does
the entire shared library get loaded into memory, shared memory? If you
have some pointers to docs on this, I'd be much obliged.

--
Jeffrey Horner       Computer Systems Analyst         School of Medicine
615-322-8606         Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University