httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Horner <jeff.hor...@vanderbilt.edu>
Subject Re: Generated spool file okay to copy after parse?
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:13:07 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
[...]
> Maybe :-).  The internal behavior of the spool brigades is something
> we need to work on from the httpd-side, since they have slightly
> different needs.  I want to see our spool buckets become a bit
> smarter: right now mod_apreq2 is creating multiple spool files
> when it could (in principle) consolidate them into a single file.
> The safest thing for you to do right now is to write copy the brigade
> to a separate file.  You shouldn't peek inside the brigade to
> look at the bucket types yet; ideally we'll provide another
> utility function to intelligently write the spool brigade to
> a file (here's my +1 for a patch to apreq_util.[ch] that adds an
> apreq_brigade_copy_to_file function).

I'm not sure I like the idea of spooling the files to a tmp file just to
copy them to another tmp file, which will ultimately be copied to
another file by the script writer. Imagine this cost with a 500Mb file.

My next idea is to create a hook to siphon off all the brigades for file
params and write to the tmp files myself. This way, I'm using the
libapreq api and not presuming what the internals do...

How's that sound?

--
Jeffrey Horner       Computer Systems Analyst         School of Medicine
615-322-8606         Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University