httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: towards a 2.05-dev release
Date Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:09:16 GMT
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Joe Schaefer wrote:
[ ... ]
> What about the Makefile foo we talked about
> for the cpan client?

I suppose one of the issues here is that the top-level
Makefile.PL calls ./configure, which then writes the
Makefile, whereas CPAN.pm likes to have Makefile generated
by ExtUtils::MakeMaker? That way, in particular, PREREQ_PM
can be populated for handling prerequisites.

What about something like the following? Move all the C
stuff (including configure-related files) into a
subdirectory, and all the perl glue into another. The
top-level Makefile.PL could then take an argument specifying
apxs, as well as building up a PREREQ_PM list of
prerequisites based on the existing version checking done,
and then use ExtUtils::MakeMaker to write out a Makefile.
This Makefile could have as one of it's targets the
"./configure $opts" done by the current Makefile.PL to build
the C lib in the subdirectory, which is then used to build
the perl glue. The "test" and "install" targets would have
to be modified accordingly to include both the relevant C
and Perl bits.

If this sounds worth looking into, I could give it a try; I
have a CPAN module - Math-Cephes - which builds a C library
and then links some Perl glue to it, which is qualitatively
similar (although not as involved) as what's being done
here.

--
best regards,
randy