httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: On version numbers
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:01:42 GMT
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> With the mp2 rename and eventual release of
> httpd 2.2, we have a new set of API/ABI issues
> to contend with.  The facts:
>
>     1) being a system-wide library, libapreq2
>        will install in parallel with itself.
>        How?  Simple- apr's major number is
>        added to our soname's major number.
>
>     2) mod_apreq2 installs into the modules
>        directory that apxs says it should go.
>        If both httpd 2.0 and 2.2 share that
>        directory it will collide, but that's
>        ok.  2.2 is supposed to be an upgrade,
>        so having only one mod_apreq2.so around
>        is acceptible.
>
>     3) The perl modules install into the
>        Apache2:: and APR:: namespaces.  There
>        can be only one of those per perl install,
>        so collision always going to happen.
>
> What we need is a versioning system that detects
> the module-collisions at module load time.  The
> server itself already has this built in, so (2)
> is already taken care of. I think we only need to
> duplicate that feature for our perl modules.
>
> Any opinions out there on how best to manage this?

Are you thinking of incompatibilities between the installed
libapreq2, mod_apreq2, and the Perl modules? Or collisions
just between different Perl module versions?

Related to this (but more for the benefit of 3rd party
modules using apreq2), would adding an environment variable,
such as mp2's MOD_PERL_API_VERSION, be of use?

--
best regards,
randy