httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject On version numbers
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:09:12 GMT
With the mp2 rename and eventual release of
httpd 2.2, we have a new set of API/ABI issues
to contend with.  The facts:

    1) being a system-wide library, libapreq2
       will install in parallel with itself.
       How?  Simple- apr's major number is
       added to our soname's major number.

    2) mod_apreq2 installs into the modules
       directory that apxs says it should go.
       If both httpd 2.0 and 2.2 share that
       directory it will collide, but that's
       ok.  2.2 is supposed to be an upgrade,
       so having only one mod_apreq2.so around
       is acceptible.

    3) The perl modules install into the
       Apache2:: and APR:: namespaces.  There
       can be only one of those per perl install,
       so collision always going to happen.

What we need is a versioning system that detects
the module-collisions at module load time.  The
server itself already has this built in, so (2)
is already taken care of. I think we only need to
duplicate that feature for our perl modules.

Any opinions out there on how best to manage this?

--
Joe Schaefer