httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: New charset support breaks existing app charset/utf8 support
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:20:26 GMT
Markus Wichitill <mawic@gmx.de> writes:

[...]

> I was hoping for a $apr->charset_support(1) config method that only
> switches on charset processing when requested.

That's a possibility, but actually I'm hoping that our stuff just
plain-old works without any monkeying around with decoders.

> Perl 5.8.1+ and most CPAN modules that have added UTF-8 support don't
> set any utf8 flags unless they've been asked to, for good reason.  For
> example, all the trouble that Perl 5.8.0 had caused when it used utf8
> by default on machines with UTF-8 locales proved why utf8 flags
> shouldn't be forced on users. Things will just fail on so many
> fronts.

Err, I want to see a bug report about what we've got now.  The newer
specs are very clear that utf8 is the preferred encoding of anything that
ain't ascii.  That's our model as well.  We only mark a string as
utf8 if it's not ascii, and it's a valid utf8 bytestream.  And if turns
out that neither is true, we also mark it as such.  I won't do the wrong
thing just people are used to doing the wrong thing.

--
Joe Schaefer