httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: On version numbers
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:28:37 GMT
Randy Kobes <randy@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> writes:

> Are you thinking of incompatibilities between the installed
> libapreq2, mod_apreq2, and the Perl modules? Or collisions
> just between different Perl module versions?

Both.  I'm thinking about situations where someone partially
upgrades an existing httpd 2.0 mp2 installation to 2.2.  Since
it'spossible that 2.2 includes our C API, it's also possible
that mod_apreq2 and libapreq2 get upgraded without upgrading
the perl modules.  Assume this sequence for the sake of
argument:

  1) $X installs mod_perl 2.0 + httpd 2.0.
  2) $X installs libapreq2, mod_apreq2 and our perl modules.
  3) $X upgrades their mod_perl installation to 2.2.  Assume
     2.2 ships with libapreq2 and mod_apreq2 only.

  4) $X starts their server, expecting our perl modules to work.
     How does $X discover that doesn't work?  Preferably, IMO,
     with an informative server log message.

> Related to this (but more for the benefit of 3rd party
> modules using apreq2), would adding an environment variable,
> such as mp2's MOD_PERL_API_VERSION, be of use?

No.
--
Joe Schaefer