httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wichitill <ma...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [multi-env] perl glue status
Date Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:44:41 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> Perhaps apreq2 could provide a ::compat module, in the
> spirit of mod_perl-2's Apache2::compat, to provide
> a compatibility layer?

I think it's more of a perlishness issue than a compatibility issue. Perl
users don't want to deal with C API implementation details. They just want
to get an upload object without doing the $body->param_class() voodoo. Move
the upload object accessor method to the APR::Request namespace, that's
fine, but please don't make things more complicated.

>> I doubt that any of my users will ever have such a setup,
>> so I'll have to continue support for plain mp1+apreq1.

> It's been mentioned a couple of times on the mod_perl-2 list
> that, down the road, it might be an idea to split the APR::*
> modules out from mp2, as they in principle work
> independently of mp2.

That would be nice, but doesn't help in my situation where people are stuck
with RedHat 7 etc. and their bundled Apache1/mod_perl/apreq versions. If I
ignore them, the number of people using my open-source stuff under plain CGI
will increase from 90% to 99%, with more people defecting to PHP.