httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [multi-env] APR__Request__Param.h question
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:23:05 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> writes:

> Next obvious question - where did AP_DEBUG get triggered?

I think the logic chain runs like this

  1) I configured httpd with --enable-maintainer-mode, which sets -DAP_DEBUG,

  2) mp2 picks up that flag from the httpd installation via Apache::Build's
     invocation of `apxs -q EXTRA_CPPFLAGS`,

  3) Our ExtUtils::XSBuilder stuff uses ModPerl::MM::WriteMakefile
     in its generated Makefile.PLs.  Also EU::XSBuilder is
     indiscrimimate about header files, so the generated *.xs
     files will list every header file it finds in our tree.
     So even though the generated Param.xs is an apr-only app,
     httpd.h winds up being included in there, through the
     (needless) apreq_module_apache2.h include.

  3) ModPerl::MM::WriteMakefile adds that `apxs -q EXTRA_CPPFLAGS` stuff
     from Apache::Build to the CCFLAGS variable in the resulting Makefiles.

I'm not sure where the blame lies here, but I've grown very
tired of fixing problems that involve ExtUtils::XSBuilder.
I think it's time to consider replacing that with vanilla
XS.  It's both more powerful and IMO much easier to maintain.

--
Joe Schaefer