httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [apreq2] Apache::RequestRec::status overriden
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:24:07 GMT
Joe Schaefer <joe+gmane@sunstarsys.com> writes:

[...]

> Personally I think it is also a design mistake for us to reuse
> the "Apache::Request" name (and mock the old 1.x @ISA relationship),
> when a much more appropriate name, "APR::Request", is readily
> available.  If we went that route, all the @ISA kludges in our perl
> glue could (quite happily) go away, but mp1 users accustomed to
> the old 1.x @ISA relationship might be a bit disappointed in the
> change.

Specifically, what I'd like to do is rename our Apache::*
modules to APR::* (dropping the above @ISA relationship),
and provide back-compat APIs for Apache::Request & friends.
The Apache::* compat modules would simply use their APR::*
counterparts as a base class, and we'd have one mixin:

  @Apache::Request::ISA = qw/APR::Request Apache::RequestRec/;

That moves these API defects into the compat modules,
which is just fine with me.  And we don't have to index
these compat modules on CPAN, unless we want to obsolete
the existing 1.x versions.

Comments?

--
Joe Schaefer