httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [patch] move Apache2 setup into a common file
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:50:25 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:

[...]

>> I'll withhold my -1 (veto) on this, at least for a few days.
>> But the show-stopper problem with this particular patch is
>> that you have introduced a new dependency into our doc tests.
>> So unless you also plan to install TestApReq::DocSetup somewhere,
>> users will not be able to run the doc tests post-installation.
>
> Well, you've asked me to how move the setup part out of the tests, and
> I did it in this way.

Actually I said I don't know how to remove the Apache2 dependency,
and I was happy that you were willing to take a look.  But at the
moment the cure seems worse than the disease, because the pod tests
are now less valuable to both us, and to our users, than they were
yesterday.

[...]

> I'm not sure whether the purpose of Test::Inline is to run tests
> after install. I thought it was rather about documenting and testing
> at the same time, as you develop the tool and has nothing to do with
> the user.

Also to facilitate better doc patches from users, who will inevitably
find bugs in our code.  Having a way of discussing bugs in the context
of a testable pod file is something I'd like to explore, and I'm not
willing to sacrifice that idea just to support an (IMO) ill-conceived
mp2 installer.

> In any case, there is no need to veto anything, since this is not my
> itch, so if you don't like it that's fine.

Ok, so eventually we can choose to simply remove all "use Apache2;"
statements from our codebase, and expect mp2 to properly encapsulate
its installation hacks within ModPerl::MakeMaker.  That'll work for
me here in apreq-land.

--
Joe Schaefer