httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [apreq2] Apache::RequestRec::status overriden
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:37:06 GMT
Max Kellermann <max@duempel.org> writes:

> On 2005/01/17 18:12, Joe Schaefer <joe+gmane@sunstarsys.com> wrote:
>> Currently $r->status() means two different things: it's the server's
>> response status when $r is an Apache::RequestRec obj, but it's the
>> args+body parse status when $r is an Apache::Request object.
>
> Why does Apache::Request use Apache::RequestRec as base class?

Mainly because in 1.x (both mod_perl and libapreq), Apache::Request
used "Apache" as its base class. mod_perl 2.x renamed that class
"Apache::RequestRec", because referring to the request_rec as "Apache"
was a design mistake that they (quite happily) fixed.

Personally I think it is also a design mistake for us to reuse
the "Apache::Request" name (and mock the old 1.x @ISA relationship),
when a much more appropriate name, "APR::Request", is readily
available.  If we went that route, all the @ISA kludges in our perl
glue could (quite happily) go away, but mp1 users accustomed to
the old 1.x @ISA relationship might be a bit disappointed in the change.

--
Joe Schaefer