httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Max Kellermann <...@duempel.org>
Subject Re: apr-related ABI issues for apreq2 packagers
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:55:13 GMT
On 2005/01/21 18:51, Joe Schaefer <joe+gmane@sunstarsys.com> wrote:
> One thought that comes to mind is to encourage
> such people to tweak our major number to suit
> their needs (but not change the "libapreq2"
> library name).  In other words, they might
> choose to reduce our current major number
> from 2 to 0 when compiling against libapr-0,
> from 2 to 1 when compiling against libapr-1,
>
>     libapreq2.so.0.0.24 (ABI-compat with apr-0)
>     libapreq2.so.1.0.24 (ABI-compat with apr-1)

One general question on this topic... why does libapreq2 have its
major version 2 both in the library name AND in the library version
(.so.X)?  If I were to decide, I had never appended the "2" to the
library name, and just call it libapreq.so.2.

Now the question "libapreq2.so.X or libapreq-aprX.so.2": that's a
question of taste, I don't have strong feelings about this. The Debian
folks change the library name for this:

 /usr/lib/libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5.so.3.3.0

But we shouldn't just make a "recommendation" of this case, we should
hard code our decision (whatever of the two it may be) in our build
scripts. Everything else endangers binary compatibility between
different distributions.

Max