httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq 1.33 (mp1)
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:04:05 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>>Builds fine for me on debian woody.  However the CPAN
>>>dependencies for Apache::Test (a listed prereq) are
>>>currently b0rked, because CPAN thinks mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1
>>>provides it:
>>>
>>>  % perl -MCPAN -e shell
>>>  i /Apache::Test/
>>>  Module          Apache::Test    (G/GO/GOZER/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1.tar.gz)
>>
>>*Sigh* This is another PAUSE issue. PAUSE needs to read META.yaml in both
>>packages (mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1.tar.gz and Apache-Test-1.18.tar.gz) and see
>>that Apache-Test is the real package and index it and not the one coming
>>bundled with mp2. This was discussed on p5p but I'm not sure if was
>>implemented (I could be wrong). Anybody knows who is in charge of
>>META.yaml spec nowadays and where is the latest version? and whether PAUSE
>>supports the new feature?
>

> I'm not sure if PAUSE supports the new feature in META.yml
> (specifying something as private, not to be indexed).
> However, the mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1 package on a CPAN mirror
> doesn't have a mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1.meta file, which if I
> understand correctly, PAUSE automatically extracts from a
> distribution if it finds a META.yml file within the
> distribution (like it does for README, creating
> mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1.readme, which does exist). So maybe PAUSE
> never saw the META.yml file under mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1 for
> some reason?

Strange. I've just checked, it has the correct file.

name:         mod_perl
version_from: lib/mod_perl.pm
installdirs:  site
private:
     directory:
         - Apache-Test
distribution_type: module

> Even if it did, however, I'm not sure it would solve
> this problem, as the full META.yml may not be implemented
> yet by PAUSE.

I think private: should be working. Let me ping some people.

> Some quick fixes are messy, and not
> that maintainable:
> - release an Apache-Test with a version newer than that
> of mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1;
> - place Apache-Test of the mod_perl-2.0.0-RC1 under a
> directory (eg, t/) that PAUSE already ignores;
> - have the owners of Apache-Test and mod_perl
> non-overlapping, so that someone who owns mod_perl doesn't
> have permission to include an indexable Apache-Test (of
> course, it still gets uploaded, but PAUSE will refuse to
> index the Apache-Test part);
> - don't include Apache-Test with mod_perl, but rather
> make it a prerequisite;

The right fix is to fix the PAUSE. It was spec'ed out long time and it's
supposed to work, w/o any workarounds. Because people continue deploying
workarounds things don't get fixed.