httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+c...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: libapreq2 build problem
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:34:17 GMT

[cc'd to apreq-dev@]

Bill Karwin <bill@karwin.com> writes:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I got through some of my errors, but ran into more.  I'm going to back
> off of Apache2 and stay on Apache 1.3 for the foreseeable future.
>
> I thought I'd pass along the issues I found with the libapreq2 build:

Thanks for your comments.  Too bad 2.X isn't quite there for you yet.

> - version_check.pl is trying to run "$tool -v" or "$tool --version"
> for various programs, but it has the wrong binary name in some cases.
> For instance, apache2 is installed as httpd2, and apr and apu are
> installed as apr-config and apu-config (this is based on SuSE Linux's
> RPMs for Apache2).

The config system gets everything (all the file names and locations)
from the

  --with-apache2-apxs=/path/to/installed/apxs

option.  Perhaps we need to add more options, eg

  --with-apache2=/path/to/httpd

and have the existing --with-apr and --with-apr-util options
override the apxs settings.  That way users with badly damaged
apxs scripts can override the misreported settings.  Arguably
apxs needs improvement as well, but that

> - The configure script tries to run `apxs2 -q APR_VERSION', but this
> seems to be an illegal query for apxs2.

This is NOT an error, but we certainly need to fix it so users
don't get confused if they see the bogus error message.

> - Multiple `make test' failures in glue/perl/t/cgi and
> glue/perl/t/upload. Perhaps related to failure of apxs2 to respond to
> expected queries?

Probably, but I recall this issue being discussed recently on
apreq-dev@, so maybe it's something else that's busted.

In any case, if someone does decide to patch acinclude.m4 and add
the extra configure options, we also need to pass those settings
somehow to Apache::Test, otherwise *it* may choke on the broken apxs
script.

> - `make install' failed:  it tried to edit LoadModule directives into
> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf, but Apache2's conf seems to be broken out
> into multiple files and directories in the new architecture.
> Libapreq2 should be editing /etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/loadmodule.conf (iirc).

Yikes, either apxs needs a few more IQ points, or we need to add
some error-handling to this portion of the mod_apreq install.  A dialog
prompting the user for the name of the config file might be nice.
It's tempting to drop the config-file mods entirely, but most 1.X
users might be surprised that they'd need to muck with their httpd
config to get Apache::Request working.

--
Joe Schaefer