httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: Apache::Request, APR::Table and UTF8
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:57:14 GMT
On Oct 5, 2004, at 10:48 AM, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> not to be the only one in the class that isn't able to follow along,
> but
> does calling Encode::_utf8_on() from userland not work?

Yes, it works, if you're confident that the string is encoded in UTF-8.
See my blog entries on this stuff for a bit more information.

   http://www.justatheory.com/computers/programming/perl/utf8_trials.html

http://www.justatheory.com/computers/programming/perl/mod_perl/
escape_html_utf8.html

> I guess I'm still trying to reconcile how this is not a user-space
> problem -
I would think that the various functions in Encode.pm and utf8.pm would
be
> sufficient most of this stuff.

Because it's annoying that the user has to remember what had the flag
set and what didn't. If I think of pnotes() (for example--not sure if
the immediate issue applies to it) as a simple hash, then I expect to
get back what I put into it. So if I put in a string with the utf8 flag
set, I expect to get it back that way.

Regards,

David