httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: Apache::Request, APR::Table and UTF8
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 01:31:44 GMT
Boris Zentner <bzm@2bz.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am 08.10.2004 um 00:29 schrieb Markus Wichitill:

[...]

> > We seem to mainly differ about whose responsibility it is to handle
> > the UTF-8 issue, the developer's who has all the relevant info, or
> > that of a thin XS layer over Apache internals, which doesn't know
> > anything about the context of the incoming data.
> >

> Thats right, I think a perl library should support perl where you
> think in terms of C.

Please keep in mind that libapreq is, first and foremost, a C library.
That's why this project is under the Apache Server Project, not the
mod_perl project.  libapreq1 is the main parser library for mod_perl,
mod_dtcl and mod_ruby.  Someday I hope libapreq2 gets an even wider
variety of language bindings, but keep in mind that we already have
folks here that use libapreq2 in C-only applications, e.g. Bojan's
mod_spin.  libapreq2 is designed so that all such apps are able to
share the parsed data with each other.

So when evaluating a new feature, it's important to determine where
its value lies among the entire user community.  I believe charset
support will become increasingly important over the expected lifespan
of libapreq2, so it would be wise to plan ahead for that.  Because
once we release 2.05, we're stuck with whatever ABI it has.

--
Joe Schaefer