httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: Apache::Request, APR::Table and UTF8
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:18:21 GMT
David Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> writes:

> On Oct 5, 2004, at 9:20 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
> > We could use three-bit field for marking the charset:
> >
> >   0 - unknown
> >   1 - ASCII
> >   2 - UTF-8
> >   3 - UTF-16
> >   [ room for 4 more iso? charsets ]
>
> Note that data encoded in UTF-8 is not the same as decoded to Perl's internal
> utf8 format. The latter has the same bytes, but the "utf8" flag has
> been set on the variable

Sorry, I don't quite follow.  We store params in a C struct that's
currently devoid of any charset information.  Boris wants to mark
certain params as being utf8, so when a later Apache::Request module
fetches them, they'll be returned from param() as utf8 strings instead
of byte strings (iow, param will set the "utf8" flag for them).

--
Joe Schaefer