httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: Apache::Request, APR::Table and UTF8
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:23:54 GMT
On Oct 6, 2004, at 8:46 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

>> Will apache understand what you're doing with the values in
>> APR::Table?
>> If you start embedding special characters in the value, won't that
>> cause a problem for folks that use APR::Table to set response
>> headers?
>
> Yes, of course. I haven't thought of that. So it's obviously a no go.

Yes, if APR::Table is designed specifically to support US-ASCII only,
then it seem pointless to add this support. I mean, even if the utf8
flag could be maintained, if the underlying Apache C code doesn't
properly handle anything over the 256th byte because it doesn't support
it (and so, theoretically, what it does with bytes over 256 is
unpredictable), then I'm happy to use other tools like pnotes() that
*will* do the right thing.

If notes() uses APR::Table, though, I think it would be helpful for the
documentation to mention that it supports US-ASCII only and to use
pnotes() if you need something else.

Regards,

David

(Who might need to rethink Apache::FakeTable as a result of all this...)