httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Apache::Request, APR::Table and UTF8
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:46:33 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>OK, how about this idea: reserve the first char for a perl flags only,
>

> Will apache understand what you're doing with the values in APR::Table?
> If you start embedding special characters in the value, won't that cause
> a problem for folks that use APR::Table to set response headers?

Yes, of course. I haven't thought of that. So it's obviously a no go.

Sorry, folks, there is not much we can do here.

Joe will handle it at the apreq level, but the core APR::Table is just not
suitable for anything but plain strings, that no need for extra flags
(since we can't store them). The only alternative I was mentioining before
is to decode the data to the bytecodes, but it's not efficient.

And yes it'd be nice to preserve the tainted flag too, but for the same
reason we can't.

As long as apreq has it resolved, there is no problem really, since nobody
forces you to use APR::Table for storing data. Use pnotes or any other
perl based storage instead.

Of course we ought to document that in the APR::Table manpage...