httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Earliest Hook to Inspect POST Params
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:58:56 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:
>

> [...]
>

>>>No actual data gets copied by mod_apreq, only the buckets are copied.
>>
>>So what happens if the buckets are destroyed in the response handler phase?
>

> Any buckets that actually need to be kept around (eg buckets
> representing a file upload) are set aside by the parser.

Meaning that if a consumer has manually parsed the buckets and destroyed
them, the set-aside buckets' content will be fully copied.

>>Also copying just the buckets could be quite an overhead too, when
>>there is a lot of incoming data.
>
> Nope, because the copies are fed right into the parser, which
> usually consumes them, so they go right back into the bucket
> allocator for reuse.  Unless the parser truly needs to set them
> aside (because they represent parsed data, eg a file upload),
> the copies are normally available for reuse on the next
> ap_get_brigade cycle.

I think we are talking about different things here. I'm talking about a
consumer of POST data not using apreq API, and apreq API might be
invoked at the latter stage. In which case *all* the POST buckets should
have been copied and set-aside by now. I'm not talking about temp bucket
allocation when you traverse a single bucket brigade.