httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: micro benchmarks, redux
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:06:01 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> Neat. Though for some reason I was expecting v2 to be faster :)

There's only so much you can do with a tiny query string :-).  At this
level the apreq2 C-machinery isn't really kicking in.  The gap should
widen signifcantly as you increase either the size of the POST
data or the number of parameters- that's where the zero-copy design
will start to show its colors.

> I need to rewrite my old crafty Apache::Benchmark to use Apache-Test,
> and then we could keep the actual benchmarks somewhere in cvs.
> But I probably won't have time for that in the near future, so if
> someone wants to take up on this job let me know and I'll give you the
> latest version of Apache::Benchmark. (I wrote it originally for the
> practical mod_perl book)

Now that we've got the --enable-profiling configure option, it would be
nice to actually have some code in cvs that stress-tests the library a
bit.  Otherwise it's probably pretty hard to guess where the current
bottlenecks are.

> The good thing about keeping those around, is to run them as you
> add/remove features, to make sure things don't get slower.

Sounds quite handy- hopefully someone will take you up on it.

--
Joe Schaefer