httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] docs, tables, tests
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:38:37 GMT
Joe Schaefer <joe+gmane@sunstarsys.com> writes:

[...]

>   2) Factor the Apache::*::Table packages into separate modules.
>      If we want to be nice, we could C<<require>> those modules
>      whenever Apache::Request or Apache::Cookie generates a table,
>      that way users wouldn't notice the table refactoring (yes
>      it's a minor performace hit, but IMO reasonable since perl's
>      TIEHASH API is really slow anyways).

I just tried this, separating Apache::Request::Table from
Apache::Request.  Stripping the symbols from the .so's,
we have the following file sizes:

  original Request.so:  42 K
  new      Request.so:  34 K
  new        Table.so:  28 K

I was actually expecting a more significant size reduction than 23%.
Since the combined size of the split is 62 K, ~ 52% larger than the
original.  It now looks to me like splitting out the tables into
separate modules will be a bad idea, so I won't pursue this item
further.

--
Joe Schaefer