httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [apreq-2] $upload->tempname on Win32
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:23:12 GMT
Markus Wichitill <mawic@gmx.de> writes:

[...]

> The practical problem on Win32 is that I can't pass $upload->tempname to
> someone else's code (maybe an external program that can't accept handles)
> since that code won't use APR::PerlIO and therefore won't be able to make
> any use of the exclusively locked tempfile. I haven't tested $upload->link
> yet, but I'd assume a created NTFS hardlink will be similarly useless
> during the request, if the linking works at all.

New link() tests added- please run the test suite and see what happens
on Win32.

> I don't know enough of the internals to actually suggest anything. I'm just
> wondering if relying on the OS to delete the file doesn't make things more
> complicated than necessary, and who knows what other problems could come up
> with other filesystems (NFS? SMB shares? What do I know).

Keep in mind that apreq2 has no reason to assume whatever cleanup
handlers we install will ever be run.  The server can abort prematurely
on a signal, segfault, or an untrapped exception.  If we start leaving our
tempfiles lying around whenever that happens, we create an opportunity
for a DoS attack.

--
Joe Schaefer