httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@netmask.it>
Subject Re: Earliest Hook to Inspect POST Params
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:10:14 GMT
First I want to thank you both (Joe and Stas).

I'm not really a newbie as I wrote, and actually I think that I was the
first one to encourage you to take advantage of the filtering feature
of Apache, when RB was still busy in the design of the bucket-brigades.

(by the way, I must note that from what I've seen so far, apreq2 could
not be designed better...)

But I still feel unsafe about when the POST data is ready for
inspection, and don't want to code something that will work in a simple
case (i.e. my test) and will fail in the "field" (which is still my
desktop too... ;-)

Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Sounds to me like you really want to write a logging handler, which
> is sort of the opposite question.
>
>   "What's the latest hook that can be used?"

I'm afraid that Stas understood my purpose better, but it was my shame
- I probably didn't describe my meaning well:

Imagine 2 xterms - one with "tail -f" of the output of the stuff I'm
trying to code, and the other with "tail -f" of the responses. Now, if
there is a delay with a response, I can throw my eyes to the 1st xterm
and see what request caused this delay. So the logging must be done as
early as possible, before anything else can screw things up.

I know that there are other ways to do it, but this way allows me to
integrate it with other stuff I have.

> > If there is an existing example, you may point me at that example
> > instead of explaining.
>
> There are a few example modules in httpd-apreq-2/env/c-modules

Yes, I know them. But the modules I looked at, were standard filters
which modified the content of the response, so I thought that things
might be different with a read-only module.

Anyway, your answers really helped me. I think that I'll leave the
exact phase to parse the POST data to a configuration parameter that I
can set before any test. All I still need to decide is what the default
will be...

Thanks again,
--
Eli Marmor