httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: cvs lists commit messages
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:31:45 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Again and again we hit this -cvs lists problems. On unmoderated lists
>>legitimate commit mails don't get posted if the committer is not
>>subscribed from their apache.org address.
>

> Why are there unmoderated lists?

I don't know. I haven't set up that list. Joe?

> This is the problem, IMO.  And with SA in
> place, the excuse of high spam volume should be gone.  Change the list
> setting so that it is moderated, and the problem goes away.  If the spam
> volume is still high, we can address that with SA changes.  Doesn't that
> make sense?

I guess so. Indeed at the moment the amount of spam has been
significantly reduced. So I can't really complain.

But we still have a problem with every new committer subscribed from a
different address. May be the procedures of adding a committer should be
changed to automatically add a new committer to a project foo to the
allow list of the foo-* lists?

> I get particularly annoyed when, as root, we send e-mail to a PMC in
> response to their request and it gets bounced because we aren't subscribed
> to their PMC.

Right. And moderation doesn't always help here, since sometimes noone
approves the email and it just sits there in the queue until it gets
expired and you still have the same effect. That's exactly where my
suggestion solves this problem as well as others. Allow any emails
coming from apache.org to be delivered, w/o requiring any moderation.
(not based on From: but the physical IP check or whichever way it is done).

>>automatically allow all posts originating form the machine
>>sending cvs commit mail and automatically block any other
>>email?
>

> You raised this question before, and Ask told you that there is no
> configuration setting for doing such a thing.  Managing this by per-list
> hacking of the editor files by hand would be a major PITA, but patches to
> code or scripts are welcomed.  But the easiest thing to do now would be to
> turn moderation back on.
>
> See attached, since I don't know who still had a copy of the earlier
> discussion.

Yes I know, but I remember that someone has mentioned that there may be
a better global solution can be found. Hence I've pinged again.