httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: Issues with CPAN releases
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:24:29 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

> David Wheeler wrote:
>
> > Of course, the simplest solution would be to rename it Apache2::Request.
>
> As others have mentioned while this may work for a few
> modules which have changed a lot, this route doesn't make
> sense for modules whose users API hasn't changed. Forcing
> users to change their code and make branching to get the
> same functionality is a not the best idea, IMHO.
>
> That kind of a workaround is just a mess. In my posts to
> p5p I gave a great example of GD.pm which has gone through
> several generations while having the same major number,
> making it very hard to use.

I know hacks like the following don't address the real
problem, and have the disadvantage of potentially delaying a
true solution, but another route one can take which may be
less frustrating for users is to add a unique skeleton
module in the distribution (eg, libapreq2.pm for apreq2)
just containing a package declaration, a version, and
perhaps a pod section with a name/description/author. Then,
suggest to 3rd party module authors that if they want to
require apreq2, put in
  PREREQ_PM => {libapreq2 => 2.0},
in Makefile.PL.

--