httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: Issues with CPAN releases
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:50:23 GMT
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Edward J. Sabol wrote:

> Randy wrote:
> > I think the problem is that the CPAN indices only keep track of the
> > highest version of a module.
>
> By inspection, this doesn't appear to be exactly true.
>
> There seems to be a way to label a release as a "developer
> release." Check out MIME-tools-6.200_02 and
> MIME-tools-5.411a. The latter is the stable release. The
> former is a developer release. If you go to
> search.cpan.org, it'll take you to MIME-tools-5.411a by
> default. You have to select MIME-tools-6.200_02 from the
> "Other Releases" menu.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/search?query=MIME%3A%3ATools&mode=module
> http://search.cpan.org/~eryq/MIME-tools-5.411a/
> http://search.cpan.org/~eryq/MIME-tools-6.200_02/
>
> I'm not sure how this is done. Probably something in the
> META.yml file, so I suggest you check out these
> distributions.

You're right that search.cpan.org keeps track of developer
versions (those distributions with an underscore in their
version in a particular manner) - in fact, it keeps track of
all CPAN versions, whether they're developer or not (eg,
MIME::Lite reports 3 developer and 2 official releases). But
the CPAN indices (which CPAN.pm uses) don't do this, so, for
example, within the CPAN.pm shell, a query for MIME::Tools
brings up only version 5.411, with MIME-tools-5.411a as the
associated distribution.

One might wonder why doesn't one then just port the
search.cpan.org index procedure to PAUSE. This is a bit
misleading - search.cpan.org uses a database (mysql, I
believe), so adding multiple module versions isn't very
expensive in terms of storage or searching. On the other
hand, the CPAN.pm shell (with unique module versions) at
present is already pretty heavy in terms of memory usage
(top reports almost 30 MB on my system), so adding a large
block of information like all available module versions (and
associated distributions) would probably lead to a pretty
severe performance hit.

--
best regards,
randy