httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: Issues with CPAN releases
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:46:01 GMT
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I've submitted polished solution proposals for each one of the two
> > issues to p5p but alas, nothing has happened.
>
> OK- let's bias for action then, since nothing will get fixed by
> waiting for p5p to act benevolently.  Two possibilities:
>
>   1) announce a policy refusing to upload stable releases of
>      libapreq2/mp2 to CPAN until CPAN is capable of handling
>      multiple versions. Official releases would be available
>      only through the ASF or via third-party rpm/deb/port packages.
>
>   2) force the issue and release libapreq2 or mp2 to CPAN
>      with correct META.yml files, and let everyone else sort
>      out the ensuing mess.  Both mp2 and apreq2 have been providing
>      these files with their developer releases, so there should be
>      no surprises here.
>
> Once we choose a course, we should notify the modperl@ list of our
> decision.  Opinions?

I've looked at the mailing list archives where this has been
discussed. Although a few technical things were brought up
concerning keeping multiple module versions (eg, larger CPAN
index files would lead to slower CPAN/CPANPLUS operations),
there didn't seem to be any major objections to going this
route, save for the time it would take to implement (the
code that runs PAUSE is available publically - I've taken a
look at it, and it's pretty well laid out). But since this
probably won't happen soonish, it might be wise to go the
route that causes the least pain to most users - one
wouldn't want to introduce someone thinking of upgrading to
mp2/apreq2 to a confusing installation procedure. Since the
majority of traffic on the modperl/httpd-apreq lists now
seem to be issues of mp2/apreq2, it seems many are
upgrading, or planning to - for this reason, I'd tend to
favour uploading official mp2/apreq2 releases to CPAN with
module versions such that CPAN/CPANPLUS thinks these are the
latest. Both have checks in them such that if an Apache2
installation isn't found the build would abort, so there'd
be little danger of someone wrecking their mp1/apreq1
installation by mistakenly trying to install the CPAN
mp2/apreq2 version (and in any case, things get installed
into an Apache2/ subdirectory, so as not to disturb an
existing mp1 installation).

--
best regards,
randy