httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: Issues with CPAN releases
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:53:12 GMT
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> David Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> writes:
>
> > On Jun 21, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> >
> > > I'm looking for a discussion on how to
> > > make CPAN work better for us.  Two issues
> > > I'd like to ask about are
[ .. ]
> > >   2) How should we structure things
> > >      so that folks will get the "right"
> > >      version of libapreq?
> > >
> > > This is an issue that mp2 also faces, so I'm
> > > wondering if there's a plan in place, or do
> > > we need to come up with one?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by the "right" version of
> > libapreq. Do you distribute multiple versions in a
> > single tarball?
>
> That is something I've been considering, but currently I'm not
> planning to push for distributing them both in the same tarball.
>
> > If not, then the only other option is for folks to use
> > Module::Build's version specification syntax to specify
> > specific versions:
> >
> >    Apache::Request => '>= 1.2, != 1.5, < 2.0',
>
> OK, thanks.  This info belongs in the README (and FAQ as
> well, I suppose).

One issue unfortunately that remains that Stas mentioned is
installation within the CPAN/CPANPLUS shells. These use the
CPAN indices, which map module names to distributions. Thus,
for example, now Apache::Request is associated with
libapreq-1.3, with CPAN version 1.3. But when libapreq2 is
released (and indexed by PAUSE), it will register
Apache::Request of libapreq2, and if the version of this
Apache::Request is higher than 1.3, installing
Apache::Request will install libapreq2.

--
best regards,
randy