httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: Issues with CPAN releases
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:02:02 GMT
Randy Kobes <randy@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> writes:

[...]

> I know hacks like the following don't address the real
> problem, and have the disadvantage of potentially delaying a
> true solution, but another route one can take which may be
> less frustrating for users is to add a unique skeleton
> module in the distribution (eg, libapreq2.pm for apreq2)
> just containing a package declaration, a version, and
> perhaps a pod section with a name/description/author. Then,
> suggest to 3rd party module authors that if they want to
> require apreq2, put in
>   PREREQ_PM => {libapreq2 => 2.0},
> in Makefile.PL.

+1 to hacks! :-)

Seriously though, it's quite reasonable for someone to
ask CPAN to fetch libapreq if they want the 1.X version.
Everything else (libapreq2, Apache::Request, etc.) could
fetch the 2.X line.  Yes, I'm sure this will break
some/lots of package dependencies on CPAN, but as long
as there's a simple way for those package maintainers
to adjust their dependency list to specify 1.X, I'm
satisfied going forward with a stable 2.5 release on
CPAN.

Just a reminder- we need to do a 1.4 release soon to
prepare users for the impending change to 2.X.  However
we can't do that until we've finalized the exact list
of changes and deprecated APIs, so we can pass that info
along in the 1.X docs.
--
Joe Schaefer