httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Issues with CPAN releases
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:01:49 GMT
Edward J. Sabol wrote:
> Randy wrote:
>
>>I think the problem is that the CPAN indices only keep track of the
>>highest version of a module.
>

> By inspection, this doesn't appear to be exactly true.
>
> There seems to be a way to label a release as a "developer release." Check
> out MIME-tools-6.200_02 and MIME-tools-5.411a. The latter is the stable
> release. The former is a developer release. If you go to search.cpan.org,
> it'll take you to MIME-tools-5.411a by default. You have to select
> MIME-tools-6.200_02 from the "Other Releases" menu.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/search?query=MIME%3A%3ATools&mode=module
> http://search.cpan.org/~eryq/MIME-tools-5.411a/
> http://search.cpan.org/~eryq/MIME-tools-6.200_02/
>
> I'm not sure how this is done. Probably something in the META.yml file, so I
> suggest you check out these distributions.

It's done by inserting _ in the version number of the released file, e.g.:
Foo-Bar-1.10_2. But this is a totally different thing. We are talking about
non-development releases, but having several generations of the same module
name peacefully co-existing on CPAN and allowing people to set the right
prerequisites in their modules.