httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Issues with CPAN releases
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:56:49 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>I've submitted polished solution proposals for each one of the two
>>issues to p5p but alas, nothing has happened.
>

> OK- let's bias for action then, since nothing will get fixed by
> waiting for p5p to act benevolently.  Two possibilities:
>
>   1) announce a policy refusing to upload stable releases of
>      libapreq2/mp2 to CPAN until CPAN is capable of handling
>      multiple versions. Official releases would be available
>      only through the ASF or via third-party rpm/deb/port packages.

While it may make things happening (or not), it'll definitely hurt somewhat
the embracement of libapreq2/mp2. Besides I've already released CPAN modules
like Apache::Scoreboard which already suffer from this problem (there are two
generations of this module).

>   2) force the issue and release libapreq2 or mp2 to CPAN
>      with correct META.yml files, and let everyone else sort
>      out the ensuing mess.  Both mp2 and apreq2 have been providing
>      these files with their developer releases, so there should be
>      no surprises here.

Providing yes, but if the CPAN server and its clients ignore that data, there
is not much difference if it's there or not.