httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2 patch] getting APR to work w/o modperl
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 18:33:44 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
[...]
>>>- build APR first, so APR::* can link against it (the
>>>default action is to build APR::* first);
>>
>>Really? Is it specific to win32? On linux with the current
>>cvs, I can run 'make -j' which builds things in parallel
>>and I was getting APR/*.so getting build while
>>src/modules/perl/mod_perl.so was still not built. But I
>>don't see problem with arranging what you did.
>

> Without building APR first, APR::* dies at the link stage
> about references to unknown symbols. I couldn't see the
> nmake equivalent to 'make -j', but I'll look - this must
> be a common problem.

OK, it's probably like that at the current cvs, you just didn't see that since
you didn't try to build in parallel (which speeds things up when you are on a
SMP platform and not uni-processor).

>>>- add
>>>     blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/
>>>to the PATH, so APR.dll can be found (perhaps APR.dll
>>>[APR.so] should be installed to $APACHE2/lib or
>>>$APACHE2/bin, as appropriate?)
>>
>>That's not good. The whole idea was not to create a
>>library which will need to be searched by the loader. The
>>ideas was to have a plain .so which will live under perl's
>>lib, and loading any APR/Foo.pm will first load APR.so,
>>and then APR/Foo.so. So yes, there is a need to change the
>>autogenerated APR/*.pm files, but you shouldn't need to
>>mess with PATH or anything that has to do with system-wide
>>loader.
>>
>>If we were to create a separate .so (read: win32/dll),
>>that would be mod_perl_common.so since all these things in
>>modperl_common.* have nothing to do with apr. But we want
>>to avoid to impose that added enormous complexity on our
>>users.
>

> This fiddling with the PATH was just to get the tests
> working (one could also use a LoadFile "...APR.dll"
> directive to accomplish the same thing). There's probably
> some internal way to do that within APR::*, along the
> lines of loading APR.so within APR/Foo.so, so that users
> don't have to be bothered.

APR/Foo.pm should arrange to load APR.pm, before it bootstraps APR/Foo.so.
Then you don't need to LoadFile.