httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <>
Subject [mp2] decoupling APR from mod_perl
Date Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:22:05 GMT
[xposting the modperl dev list]

Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Maybe a couple of us could get together on IRC sometime this month and
> sort out what needs to be done to make it happen.  I'd be willing to
> dedicate some time to the effort it if I better understood what the
> relevant issues are for mp2, and what course of action you guys are
> taking/considering.

I believe the whole issue is relatively trivial: We need to take all the
functions that both mod_perl and APR libs rely on (that's the missing symbols
you've got reported when you tried to load APR::Table w/o being
loaded and others used by other APR::* modules) and put them into a separate
.[ch] files, so both and can include. We already do that
for modperl_constants.c, you can find a copy of
src/modules/perl/modperl_constants.c as xs/ModPerl/Const/modperl_constants.c.
So we just need to copy these new *[ch] files into xs/APR/APR and arrange for
build and inclusion of it in And unless I've missed something it
should just work. and ModPerl/ already make sure that they
won't attempt to load and if is already loaded.

Notice that modperl-2.0/t/apr-ext files exercise the APR-w/o-mod_perl already
(at the moment it is only possible for some APR:: libs).

So if there is an urgency to resolve this issue now, we can do that.

Please notice that there are known problems with linking on some
platforms, I believe only Solaris was reported so far. Since I don't use
Solaris and nobody has volunteered help so far it's unresolved and t/apr-ext
tests fail on that platform.

Stas Bekman            JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker     mod_perl Guide --->

View raw message