httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: libapreq2-2.02-dev build problems with Perl 5.6.1
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:39:42 GMT
"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

[...]

> I strongly suggest updating the minimum version requirement for libtool and
> maybe fixing the acinclude.m4 warnings listed above (if possible).

Thanks.  The script that performs the checks is build/version_check.pl.
I'll commit the libtool version upgrade in a day or so, unless someone
voices an objection.

IIRC the cvs build process used to be documented in INSTALL, but somehow
the fulll instructions are no longer present there.

> Next, I patched Makefile.PL to use ExtUtils::MM instead of $Config{perlpath}.
> I posted this patch on December 11th, but it was never applied to the CVS
> repository. I need this patch or it won't use the correct version of Perl.

I don't like the idea of using EU::MM simply because $Config{perlpath}
isn't yielding the right path, but I confess ignorance as to the cause.
ISTR Apache::Test (prehaps just in a previous version) relied on
$Config{perlpath} as well, so I'm skeptical that simply moving to
EU::MM is the right solution.

Question to all: Why do we need the full path to perl?  I don't believe
the *nix build system (even for glue/perl) cares one way or the other.
Is there a potential conflict with Apache::Test?

> After that, I typed "perl5.6.1 Makefile.PL
> --with-apache2-apxs=/usr/wwwserver/apache/bin/apxs". This seemed to work
> well.
>
> Then, I typed "make". This proceeded to do a seemingly redundant "recheck",
> duplicating much of what configure did.

That shouldn't have happened, of course.  The buildconf warnings might
be responsible, but at the moment I simply don't know why `make` caused
./config.status --recheck to run.

[...]

> I suspect $(top_builddir) isn't getting set in the "recheck", but I haven't
> looked at the Makefile that closely.

Hopefully fixing the warnings will solve this as well.  What
platform are you running on?

--
Joe Schaefer