httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: libapreq2-2.02-dev build problems with Perl 5.6.1
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:55:35 GMT
"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> EU::MM/MakeMaker is what 98% of all Makefile.PL's use to perform this very
> task. It's a standard Perl module (i.e., it comes with Perl). Oh, and
> it gets the path correct. Frankly, I don't understand the reluctance
> to utilize it.

Consistency across the various apache/perl related projects is
important.  As developers it doesn't make our maintainence work
any easier if we can't get together and adopt a common solution.

Right now, it seems to me that the common solution among Apache::Test,
mp2, and libapreq2 is to rely on Config.pm for the full path to perl.
So IMO you need to either make the case that it's better for apreq2 to
break away from what the other projects are doing, or that all three
should switch to EU::MM.

My personal opinion is that EU::MM is doing the right thing (by
either accepting a full path in $^X, or searching your environment's
$PATH for $^X before resorting to Config.pm), but before I'm willing
to +1 a change, I need to see evidence that all our Apache::Test
tests will still run successfully if we adopt your EU::MM patch.

> > Hopefully fixing the warnings will solve this as well.  What
> > platform are you running on?
>
> Linux, dual AMD processors. Mostly Red Hat 7.3, but with an updated
> kernel that has the latest security patches.

Nice.  I've recently switched from RH to Debian woody, which is
antiquated by comparison.  amd64 is in serious flux on Debian,
so it's a royal PITA to get apreq2 built from cvs on my box right now.
I haven't been able to run buildconf since I switched from RH8
to Debian :-/.

--
Joe Schaefer