httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Sabol" <sa...@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: libapreq2-2.02-dev build problems with Perl 5.6.1
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:57:31 GMT
>> a ppport.h with dAX from the latest blead-perl are now part of the libapreq2
>> build. So you can just use the latest cvs, w/o needing any manual fixes.
>
> Thanks for the following up on this. I'll try to find the time over the next
> few days to download the latest version from cvs and test it again.

Having never build libapreq2 from CVS sources before, I was a bit lost on how
to do this. Is the CVS build procedure documented anywhere? As a guess, I
tried running buildconf, but it informed me that my installed versions of
autoconf and automake were not recent enough. Fine. I installed the latest
versions of both. At which point, it still didn't work:

removing stale config files
checking buildconf prereqs
libtool: 1.4.2 ok
autoconf: 2.59 ok
automake: 1.8.2 ok
running libtoolize --automake --copy --force
running aclocal
acinclude.m4:1: warning: underquoted definition of AC_APREQ
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending%20aclocal
acinclude.m4:150: warning: underquoted definition of APR_ADDTO
aclocal: configure.ac: 17: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library

It said my version of libtool was "ok", but I was suspicious. I tried
upgrading libtool as well. I installed libtool 1.5.2, and buildconf was able
to proceed at that point:

removing stale config files
checking buildconf prereqs
libtool: 1.5.2 ok
autoconf: 2.59 ok
automake: 1.8.2 ok
running libtoolize --automake --copy --force
running aclocal
acinclude.m4:1: warning: underquoted definition of AC_APREQ
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending%20aclocal
acinclude.m4:150: warning: underquoted definition of APR_ADDTO
running autoconf
running autoheader
running automake -a -c
configure.ac: installing `./install-sh'
configure.ac: installing `./missing'
env/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
buildconf successful.

I strongly suggest updating the minimum version requirement for libtool and
maybe fixing the acinclude.m4 warnings listed above (if possible).

Next, I patched Makefile.PL to use ExtUtils::MM instead of $Config{perlpath}.
I posted this patch on December 11th, but it was never applied to the CVS
repository. I need this patch or it won't use the correct version of Perl.

After that, I typed "perl5.6.1 Makefile.PL
--with-apache2-apxs=/usr/wwwserver/apache/bin/apxs". This seemed to work
well.

Then, I typed "make". This proceeded to do a seemingly redundant "recheck",
duplicating much of what configure did. It died with the following error:

/bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
running /bin/sh ./configure  --enable-perl-glue --with-perl=/usr1/local/bin/perl5.6.1 --with-apache2-apxs=/usr/wwwserver/apache/bin/apxs
 --no-create --no-recursion
checking for [...]
[...]
 cd  && /bin/sh ./config.status Makefile
./config.status: ./config.status: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile] Error 127

I suspect $(top_builddir) isn't getting set in the "recheck", but I haven't
looked at the Makefile that closely.