httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: libapreq2-2.02-dev build problems with Perl 5.6.1
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:47:48 GMT
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Edward J. Sabol wrote:
> >
> >>Using Apache 2.0.48, mod_perl 1.99_11, Perl 5.6.1, Red Hat
> >>7.3, I encountered the following problems building
> >>libapreq2-2.02-dev:
> >>
> >>1. Well, first I had to manually install ExtUtils::XSBuilder 0.23. Why
> >>   doesn't CPAN.pm see this module? It claims no such module exists
> >>   and won't get/make/test/install it, but search.cpan.org
> >>   can find it easily enough.
> >>   Anyway, this was more of an inconvience than a problem, but I
> >>   thought I'd mention it.
> >
> > ExtUtils/XSBuilder.pm doesn't get indexed by PAUSE as a
> > module (it doesn't have a package declaration, among other
> > things). From the CPAN.pm shell, try installing
> > ExtUtils::XSBuilder::WrapXS.
>
> So how about changing the code to require
> ExtUtils::XSBuilder::WrapXS? Where does $VERSION reside? in
> ExtUtils::XSBuilder? or ExtUtils::XSBuilder::WrapXS

It's an unusual situation - the version (currently at 0.23)
is defined in ExtUtils::XSBuilder, but the sole purpose of
ExtUtils/XSBuilder.pm is to define $VERSION = 0.23; it
consists of

$VERSION = 0.23 ;
Hence, PAUSE doesn't recognize it as a module.
Something like ExtUtils::XSBuilder::WrapXS could be
required instead, as PAUSE does recognize that as a module.
Another option is to use an XSBuilder.pm as
package ExtUtils::XSBuilder;
use strict;
use vars qw($VERSION);
$VERSION = 0.23;

1;
__END__

=head1 NAME

ExtUtils::XSBuilder - Automatic XS glue code generation

with other pod sections as desired - this I think will be
picked up by PAUSE, and also can then be continued to be
used to define the distribution version. It's also more
intuitive to install "ExtUtils::XSBuilder" within CPAN.pm to
install the ExtUtils-XSBuilder distribution.

--
best regards,
randy