httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] libapreq2-2.01_03-dev released
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:07:00 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>

>>>CURRENT RELEASE NOTES:
>>>    - This is a developer release, indicated by the "-dev" suffix
>>>      on the version string.  We believe the core interfaces to be stable,
>>>      but some portions of the API may still need significant modification.
>>>      Thus, binary/source compatibility may be broken from one developer
>>>release to the next. In particular the version numbering rules specified
>>>      at
>>
>>Joe, are you sure you are not artificially building acceptance walls?
>>You are talking about C API in the post to the mod_perl list. Most
>>people won't even try it, because of that.
>

> "Most people" shouldn't try it- developers should.  It's their feedback
> that determines what we most need to change.  At this point, perl users
> need to be looking to *the test suite* for the stable components of the
> API, not *the documentation*.  Until that situation changes, I see no
> harm in scaring off the faint of heart.

Those developers are "most people", they won't try it in their code if you say
that the perl API is not stable. I guess I'm talking mostly about those
developers who wait in anxiety for the Apache::Request 2.0 release so they can
move to mod_perl 2.0. I could be wrong.

>>Or does it really true the perl may still need significant
>>modification?
>

> Absolutely.  We need to really flesh out the perl glue in CGI
> before we can claim stability, just like we needed to do it for
> the C API.

OK, thanks for the clarification, Joe.