httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject [apreq-2] versioning system
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:01:50 GMT
Please take a look at

  http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

This raises a few seggestions about how we should
introduce httpd-apreq-2 into the wild.  Given that
libapreq is already out there, the section on
parallel installations deserves serious consideration.
In a nutshell, the document suggests we append the API
number "2" to the library name, and ensure that the header
files are installed in a corresponding version-specific
directory.

For instance, here are a few installation changes
that could result from following the apr guidelines:

HEADERS:
  Now:          /usr/local/apache2/include
  Suggested:    /usr/local/apache2/include/libapreq2/

SHARED LIBRARY:
  Now:          /usr/local/apache2/lib/libapreq.so.2.0.0
  Suggested:    /usr/local/apache2/lib/libapreq2.so.0.0.0

Linking to the new libapreq library on a *nix box would
therefore require "-lapreq2" instead of "-lapreq".  To
locate the libapreq2 headers, module authors would then
need something like

  -I`apxs -q INCLUDEDIR`/libapreq2

The merits of this approach are discussed at:

  http://www106.pair.com/rhp/parallel.html

As far as CPAN is concerned, the new release package would
then be libapreq2-X.Y.tar.gz, which would not clash with the
old one.  If we decide to to this, I think it would be a good
idea to start telling people on the modperl list to fetch the
appropriate libapreq package by name

  % perl -MCPAN -e "get libapreq"
or
  % perl -MCPAN -e "get libapreq2"

instead of fetching the latest version Apache::Request or
Apache::Cookie (which will probably get libapreq2, even if
they're really using apache-1.3/modperl-1.3).

Any thoughts on this?  I'd like to bring this issue
to a vote before we do any releases of httpd-apreq-2,
so please express your thoughts.

Thanks.
--
Joe Schaefer