httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject clarification? Re: [VOTE] apreq-2 versioning system
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:24:01 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
[...]

Before I vote, there are a few issues with the perl glue.

> for the perl glue-
>
>        1) Apache::Cookie and Apache::Request will be versioned
>           starting from 2.0.  This will likely cause pain for 1.3
>           users that set their dependency requirements based on
>           Apache::Request's version instead of libapreq's.

hopefully, this generation won't have its versions mismatching the release
versions (in 1.x we had 1, 1.1, 1.2), whereas here we probably want to have
2.00, 2.01, ... 2.15 etc.

Also should Apache::Request's version be the only one that has $VERSION and
use that for the release version?

>        2) Apache::libapreq will be renamed Apache::libapreq2, and should
>           make the same installation info available that the
>           apreq2-config script does.

rename? Do we have already Apache::libapreq?

What's important is that Apache::libapreq2 is needed only for CPAN module
dependecies. It shouldn't contain any code and shouldn't be really used in the
modules. Why? Because ideally a program working with libapreq1 should work the
same with libapreq2. Similarly, in mod_perl2 we have Apache2.pm, which you can
require in MakeMaker for mp2 and Apache.pm for mp1. Incidentally, since mp1
and mp2 aren't compatible each of these modules contain code, but as suggested
ideally for apreq it'd be good not to depend on libapreq.pm or libapreq2.pm in
the code itself.