httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Douglas Webb <DW...@Ovid.com>
Subject POSTing non-standard content type?
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 04:57:28 GMT
Hi.
I'm building an internal service using Apache/mod_perl, and one of the
functions I want to support is POSTing a request where the body is an xml
document. (Sounds like SOAP, but it's not an RPC-kind of thing.)

I'm able to use Apache::Request::read to get the request body, but my error
log is full of this message:
 [libapreq] unknown content-type: `application/x-ovid-blah'

I looked at the libapreq code, and it generates this error for anything but
application/x-www-form-urlencoded or multipart/form-data.

I'd rather not use either of those; the former doesn't fit my data model at
all, and the latter would make life a bit harder for my clients. It would
also cause libapreq and/or Apache::Request to create a file, and force me to
read from the file handle. That's overhead I'd rather not have.

Is there a reason why libapreq is so restrictive? Obviously it can't parse
anything it doesn't know, but why doesn't it just treat the body as an
opaque blob, and let the application deal with it? Can the error message be
turned off?

Thanks.
Doug Webb.

this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are
notified that disclosing, copying, forwarding or otherwise distributing or
taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
strictly prohibited.