httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: simple apache 2 module using libapreq and mod_apreq
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:31:50 GMT
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
> >
> > I'm away until next week, so can't test this out, but
> > would the MakeMaker attribute FIRST_MAKEFILE be of any
> > help here? That is, after generating the top-level
> > Makefile, have Makefile.PL rename it to something
> > else, and then use this name as a value to FIRST_MAKEFILE
> > within WriteMakefile().
>
> Won't that intervene with the non-perl build, for users which aren't
> interested in the perl glue. I suppose that if they don't run 'perl
> Makefile.PL' it makes no difference to them.
>
>   So if we say:
>
>    FIRST_MAKEFILE => Makefile.mod_perl
>
> the top-level Makefile could include:
>
> dist :
>      make -f Makefile.mod_perl dist
>
> but it's probably too messy to have two Makefiles. Is there a way we can
> generate Makefile normally via MakeMaker and then somehow integrate the
> autoconf's stuff in? Or the other way around?

You're right that it will become messy to have two Makefiles ...
As far as trying to integrate things, perhaps one could
let autoconf generate a Makefile, and then, within Makefile.PL,
rename it to Makefile.auto, or something, and then in Makefile.PL
add in something to
    include Makefile.auto
in MakeMaker's generated Makefile? I guess this would also
involve changing the default targets so as to include those
of Makefile.auto. And since it's done within Makefile.PL,
it would only affect those users wishing to use the perl glue.

Another possibility, which though would add a perl dependency,
is to use Module::Build rather than MakeMaker, and then add
in the autoconf Makefile targets into Module::Build.

--
best regards,
randy