httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Re: Need help with MakeMaker work in perl-5.8.1
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:43:46 GMT
Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

>>PASTHRU = -nologo LIB="$(LIB)"\
>>   LIBPERL_A="$(LIBPERL_A)"\
>>   LINKTYPE="$(LINKTYPE)"\
>>   PREFIX="$(PREFIX)"\
>>   OPTIMIZE="$(OPTIMIZE)"\
>>   INC="$(INC)"\
>>   DEFINE="$(DEFINE)"\
>>   PASTHRU_DEFINE="$(PASTHRU_DEFINE)"\
>>   PASTHRU_INC="$(PASTHRU_INC)"\
>>   DEFINE="$(DEFINE)"
>>
>>but INC is not actually defined in that Makefile.  We are therefore
>>passing through an empty INC to the 'c' sub-directory, overriding
>>whatever value it would have previously used.
>>
>>Is this a flaw in the new MakeMaker (should the passed-through INC be
>>appended to sub-directory's INC's, rather than replacing them,
>>perhaps?), or is it a problem with libapreq's build process?
>>

>If there's no INC (or DEFINE, or any other macros) maybe PASTHRU
>simply shouldn't pass on those empty values?

Sounds good to me, though I don't know what the regression risk might be :-s

Thanks, for your patch (off list).  The attached patch (also against
perl-current) is a little nicer, using "next unless defined" rather than
nesting everything instead another "if" block.  I've also saved a
temporary variable (scrap $inc, rename $newinc to $inc), and slipped in
a minor bugfix:  I've changed

when removing the quotes around quoted directories, which fixes a
problem if the last directory listed in INC is quoted and is followed by
whitespace.  (There won't be any leading whitespace because of the
qr/\s*(?$i)$o/ in the parse_line() call.)

With this patch in place I can now build XML-Parser (with
"EXPATINCPATH=..." or "INC=-I...") and libapreq!  Hoorah!

And Tk (800.024) still builds OK too.

Steve