httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Need help with MakeMaker work in perl-5.8.1
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:49:33 GMT
Some work has been going on in the upcoming perl-5.8.1 to fix MakeMaker
so that DEFINE and INC get passed through to sub-directories' Makefile.PL's.

This seems to have an unfortunate effect on libapreq, namely that (as of
1.2) it doesn't build any more (on WinXP / MSVC++ 6.0 at least).

If you're interested in helping to fix this (it may well affect other
platforms too) then get Jarkko's latest release from:

http://www.iki.fi/jhi/perl@20512.tbz
http://www.iki.fi/jhi/perl@20512.tgz

and apply the attached patch that I submitted this morning, without
which the massaging of INC in MM_Unix::pasthru() didn't seem to be
working properly.

With all that in place, I now find that when trying to build libapreq,
the first compiler command-line fails because the "-I..." arguments have
all disappeared! :-

cl -c    -nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -DNDEBUG -O1 -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT
-DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT -DPERL_DEBUGGING_MSTATS -DUSE_PERLIO
-DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -MD -DNDEBUG -O1    -DVERSION=\"1.2\"
-DXS_VERSION=\"1.2\"  "-IC:\perl5\lib\CORE"   apache_request.c
apache_request.c
apache_request.h(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
'httpd.h': No such file or directory

I believe the reason is that the top-level Makefile's PASTHRU section
now contains INC:

PASTHRU = -nologo LIB="$(LIB)"\
    LIBPERL_A="$(LIBPERL_A)"\
    LINKTYPE="$(LINKTYPE)"\
    PREFIX="$(PREFIX)"\
    OPTIMIZE="$(OPTIMIZE)"\
    INC="$(INC)"\
    DEFINE="$(DEFINE)"\
    PASTHRU_DEFINE="$(PASTHRU_DEFINE)"\
    PASTHRU_INC="$(PASTHRU_INC)"\
    DEFINE="$(DEFINE)"

but INC is not actually defined in that Makefile.  We are therefore
passing through an empty INC to the 'c' sub-directory, overriding
whatever value it would have previously used.

Is this a flaw in the new MakeMaker (should the passed-through INC be
appended to sub-directory's INC's, rather than replacing them,
perhaps?), or is it a problem with libapreq's build process?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve