httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: simple apache 2 module using libapreq and mod_apreq
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:45:59 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Randy Kobes wrote:
>>
>>>I'm away until next week, so can't test this out, but
>>>would the MakeMaker attribute FIRST_MAKEFILE be of any
>>>help here? That is, after generating the top-level
>>>Makefile, have Makefile.PL rename it to something
>>>else, and then use this name as a value to FIRST_MAKEFILE
>>>within WriteMakefile().
>>
>>Won't that intervene with the non-perl build, for users which aren't
>>interested in the perl glue. I suppose that if they don't run 'perl
>>Makefile.PL' it makes no difference to them.
>>
>>  So if we say:
>>
>>   FIRST_MAKEFILE => Makefile.mod_perl
>>
>>the top-level Makefile could include:
>>
>>dist :
>>     make -f Makefile.mod_perl dist
>>
>>but it's probably too messy to have two Makefiles. Is there a way we can
>>generate Makefile normally via MakeMaker and then somehow integrate the
>>autoconf's stuff in? Or the other way around?
>

> You're right that it will become messy to have two Makefiles ...
> As far as trying to integrate things, perhaps one could
> let autoconf generate a Makefile, and then, within Makefile.PL,
> rename it to Makefile.auto, or something, and then in Makefile.PL
> add in something to
>     include Makefile.auto
> in MakeMaker's generated Makefile? I guess this would also
> involve changing the default targets so as to include those
> of Makefile.auto. And since it's done within Makefile.PL,
> it would only affect those users wishing to use the perl glue.

I don't think this will quite work as most variables will get duplicated. we
could probably start with just providing a dist target for the top level
Makefile that will call the perl's generated Makefile.

> Another possibility, which though would add a perl dependency,
> is to use Module::Build rather than MakeMaker, and then add
> in the autoconf Makefile targets into Module::Build.

That's not an option untill we get mp2 support M::B. Currently one has to use
ModPerl::MM instead of ExtUtils::MakeMaker to get things right.