httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: need to be able to specify a path to perl
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:48:16 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Build instructions go as follows:
>>
>>   (optional)% ./buildconf
>>             % ./configure --with-apache2-apxs=/path/to/apache2/bin/apxs
>>             % make && make test
>>   (optional)% make perl_glue
>>   (optional)% make perl_test
>>             % make install
>>   (optional)% make perl_install
>>
>>but there is no way to specify which perl to use. it does assumptions
>>which are most likely to be wrong.
>

> I realize it isn't documented, but have you tried
> using ./configure --with-perl=/path/to/favorite/perl ???

ah, thanks! Now failing at this phase:

make perl_glue
cd glue/perl; /usr/bin/perl-5.8.1-ithread ../../build/xsbuilder.pl run
Base class package "ExtUtils::XSBuilder::ParseSource" is empty.
         (Perhaps you need to 'use' the module which defines that package
first.) at ../../build/xsbuilder.pl line 84
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../../build/xsbuilder.pl line 84.
make: *** [perl_glue] Error 255

I was running:

CCOPTS='-Werror -O0 -g' ./configure \
--with-apache2-apxs=/home/stas/httpd/prefork/bin/apxs \
--with-perl=/usr/bin/perl-5.8.1-ithread
make
make test
make perl_glue

>>Probably the simplest way to accomplish that is to add a simple
>>Makefile.PL which will internally call:
>>
>>./configure --with-apache2-apxs=/path/to/apache2/bin/apxs
>>
>>and won't call WriteMakefile.
>

> Agreed.
>

>>Though how is it going to manage all the Makefile.PL's options?
>>e.g. PREFIX?
>

> Good question.

It should pass those options to the real glue code Makefile.PL after cd'ing to
glue/perl.

   qx/cd "glue/perl" && perl Makefile.PL @ARGV/;

after massaging @ARGV to remove any --configure options.

However we still need to cd to glue/perl for the usual perl build, make
commands to work. One way would be to write a bunch of targets in the top
level Makefile, which will replicate them by first chdir'ing to glue/perl.

I'll try to write a skeleton...